Sunday, June 5, 2011

Vegetarian...check. Vegan...getting there. PLUS Recipe

It's been a week, before I decided to lean in to vegan-ish.  I can honestly say, I have definitely a full fledged vegetarian for the last 7 days.  Vegan...some days have been better than others. But definitely making progress. Here are a few pinpoints!
  • I successfully went to Outback, and ate vegetarian (even though, there is no entree on the menu for vegetarians...I get that it is a Steakhouse...but it is also a family restaurant).  I had the salad...with ranch (I know ranch ain't vegan).  I ordered a la cart a sweet potato and seasonal veggies.  And yes, I used a fraction of the butter and brown sugar they brought me for the potato, and I am sure there was butter on the veggies...yes, not Vegan....but considering...DEFINITELY a lean in.
  • Went to Trader Joe's for the first time ever.  Although I was able to get some things that seem like they will really help in the transition, I was surprised with how much they sell that is vegetarian, but not vegan.  I did get a veggie roll up sandwich which is vegan, and tasty. And I thought the hummus I bought was perfection, until I realized it was not vegan (although only a tad bit, if there is such a thing).  This was my realization....wow, this may be really hard...and I need to see about some recipes and snack options. Definitely more work, since you seem to have to make most of your items, to ensure nothing has been snuck in. HOWEVER, I would assume it makes it all the more healthy.

Also this week I read some more chapters in Kathy Freston's book "Veganist"....found the following, worth saying:
  • Even skinless roasted chicken breast...the leanest of the lean, has 20% of its calories from fat...29% saturated.
  • In the 20th century Americans have gone from eating 125lbs of meat per year to 200lbs. From 4lbs of cheese per year to 33lbs!
  • There are so many stories in there of how a vegan diet reversed bad health.  It's ASTONISHING to me it isn't prescribed more, especially seeing as there are studies with data....it's not just a bunch of bru-ha-ha from environmentalists.

As a final note in the weeks progress, I started the couch to 5k program today.  This program helps you to go from couch potato to begin running. The first run was painful, but one of the best workouts I've had in about a year and a half. Considering in the last year and a half, I've gained about 15 lbs, that says something.
BTW, as you read through all this.  I want you to know this is truly a decision I am making for my health, and to change my lifestyle. This is not a 'diet' for me. Nonetheless, I think as I am sharing my story. You should know, I am currently 205lbs. 2yrs ago, I weighed 170, and was trying to lose weight then. I'll let you know, how I find this lifestyle effects those factors. By the way, some of you may still have your jaws to the ground, that I posted my obese weight in a blog. However, come on....if someone looks at me, and I were to say I weigh 150, they'd know I am lying.  Who cares....I look the way I look.

And a recipe....

Tonight, I made some pasta pomodoro, as I'll call it.  Super delicious.

ingredients:
pasta (I used Trader Joe's Garlic and Basil Linguine...but I've made it before with Barilla Plus & Ronzoni Smart Taste)
tomato, chopped
basil, sliced (I picked it from my garden, YAY me!)
garlic, chopped
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Cook pasta.  Meanwhile in a small skillet, saute all the other ingredients.  when the pasta is ready, throw over the ingredients.  I *can* specify measurements.  But in all honesty, you can use as much or as little of all of those as you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment