Saturday, December 14, 2013

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas

I love the holidays. This is our first year in our new home, and it was so fun to find some great finds, use some old items, and create some new looks. 

This is the living room.  I got this unbelievable full artificial tree with multi colored lights at my local Goodwill for $40.25.  In our house the rule is, nothing breakable on the tree.  We have 2 cats, 2 dogs, and 2 kids....it is inevitable that the tree will tip at some point.  So far this year it hasn't happened (fingers crossed).  We have a lot of felt and wooden ornaments, pine cones, and various little ornaments we've picked up along our journey. 
So excited about our mantle and fireplace!  I got these little stockings from Pottery Barn about 10yrs ago, after my daughter was born and we knew our family was complete.  They are still in fantastic shape.  I love the stocking holders, and last year we broke one.  I was so excited, to see Target had a star that would fit in perfectly (far left). 
Also in the forefront of the photo is my new find.  This coffee table was at a local thrift store called CHKD (proceeds go to the Children's Hospital of the King's Daughter).  It was $40 and is SOLID!!!!  The basket was also a Goodwill find, that I spray painted charcoal gray to make it more my style and more modern.  I filled it with some holiday decor balls, I bought on clearance a few years back.

In the dining room, I went with a gold theme.  The walls in there are a yellow fleur de lis, and seemed like some gold would really compliment.  Here our kitten, Toby, models for us. 


I swear my mother had one of these when I was growing up.  Originally it was a tree made up of faux fruit.  A little outdated when I picked it up at Goodwill for $3, but some metallic spray paint, and now it is a great centerpiece. 
This was a fun project.  I got the milk jar from goodwill for less than a dollar, and the flowers were from my local Dollar Tree. Add some spray paint to the milk jar, and there we go, a great holiday arrangement for the sideboard. 


I have been having so much fun re-creating items I find at the local thrift stores.  I truly feel that mixing it with modern items, and refreshing them, that you get a rich feel for pennies on the dollar. Not to mention both CHKD and Goodwill use their proceeds for good causes, so it is a feel good buy with some craftiness mixed in. 

Let me know what you think of posts like this.  We are in the process of redecorating my daughters room; I'd also love to share the making of my craft room. Plus soon, I'll be helping a friend with her bedroom (making a headboard, etc). 


No comments:

Post a Comment