Monday, December 16, 2013

DIY Duct Tape Picture Frame Makeover

My daughter asked for her room to get re-decorated for Christmas.  What can I say, a girl after my own heart?! She has decided on a Teal and Zebra Print theme.  Since she played a big part in planning a lot of the details, I did want there to be some handmade surprises for her.
In her new room, she will have a desk, and what better decor for a desk than a picture frame?! I have a lot of things I pick up at Goodwill and the CHKD Thrift store, and either forget I bought, or haven't felt inspiration for yet. This frame has been in the garage for at least 2 months.  I thought, how sassy would this be in Zebra print?  And then I thought about all those fun new duct tapes, and that my daughter also loves the duct tape trend.  So I decided to cover the frame in zebra duct tape.

First, I did diagonals at the corners. When you do the corners, take the scissors and cut the tape in half to the corner. I trimmed back the excess with scissors and then rubbed down the rest until there was a smooth seal.


Then I went with diagonal strips out from the edges.  Again, trim off excess, and make sure when you wrap around the nooks and crannies, that you aren't going to stuff the track where the glass will go. Also make sure to follow the edges of the frame, instead of letting the tape pillow out.
I'm really happy with the end product.



I still need to find a picture to put in the frame, but I will let you see that end product when the room is done. I do plan on a before and after blog for this room change.  So stay tuned to see if we can make an attempt to walk that fine line between gaudy and chic, with zebra print.

Details.  This DIY took less than 30 min.  The Duct Tape was $3.89 at Target, and the frame was $1.58 at the thrift store.  The frame is a 5X7.

No comments:

Post a Comment